short shifters

Post pics or video of Neons or other cool automotive-related stuff here.
noxneon
Local Neon Owner

short shifters

Post by noxneon »

ok, this is a picture of a stock length shifter from the junk yard ($6) compared to the shifter i have now, approx, 5 inches shorter, not much play after th booger installs. so my question is, with no arogance meant at all, what are the + and - of a maddog sts???
i cut it below the bend
"Pure adrenaline attached to a license plate. Isn't it time to experience one yourself." Dan Garney
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Wow, that has to be the shortest shift lever I have ever seen in a Neon.

The advantage of a MadDog or other similar short shifters over what you have, is that by changing the geometry in other locations in the lever system it allows shorter throws with less effort, in addition to allowing a more comfortable shift knob position. In addition it shortens the side-to-side movement. You can see in these pics how the pivot point has been raised and the extension welded into the lever that shortens the side-to-side movement.

Installed with stock knob (somehow I don't have a pic of the current Sparco knob):

1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
noxneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by noxneon »

naw, im to damn short to have somethin like that, if you saw how far up i had to move my seat to drive comfortably, youd think im like 5 foot zero, not 5'8, besides, i like havin to muscle the shifter a little. anyways im trying to find a tap and die set for running threads on that shifter, i think it might be 15 mm, or 9/16, but no one here in town (portland/ or) seems to know where i can find those sizes, or metric calipers for that mater. you guys know of anyone( people/websites) that might have those sizes of taps and dies??? any info would be most helpful.
"Pure adrenaline attached to a license plate. Isn't it time to experience one yourself." Dan Garney
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I'm not sure on those tap sizes. What are you trying to do, put a threaded-on knob on it? You should just buy a short-shifter and use a knob that goes on with set screws.

noxneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by noxneon »

tried that, thats what that knob is, it just scores the shifter and gets all wiggly like stale jello :? , no im gonna do my shifters right from now on, i just need to make sure i have the right tap and die sizes. and im thinking of maybe getting a hobby lathe, be able to custom make people some shifter knobs of whatever they want, :D
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Try using loctite on the set screw threads, and use the nylon spacers supplied with most set-screw type knobs. That's what I do and have never had a problem.

Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Vinny wrote:Try using loctite on the set screw threads, and use the nylon spacers supplied with most set-screw type knobs. That's what I do and have never had a problem.
Thats what I've done and haven't had a problem.

<-- running a 2nd gen Maddog shifter and love it 8)
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
noxneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by noxneon »

i seem to be way to strong or something :twisted: cause i've scored the crap out of like three shifters with that knob, kinda annoying. 'sides, i really want to have a threaded and screwed shifter, have it on there real solid, but still be able to remove it and reuse it :D
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Maybe look into this:

http://modernperformance.com/dcx/srt_st ... knob.shtml

It's made for Neons so it should be very close to the shaft size, and it goes on with eight set screws instead of the usual 3 or 4.

noxneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by noxneon »

too much for just a polished chunk of Al. naw, Im gonna be really stubborn about getting my shifter threaded, I could do cross screws to keep it locked down. any help from anyone is still always appreciated.
SLOW R/T
Local Neon Owner

Post by SLOW R/T »

looks really short
1995 Sport Coupe-Slightly Modded