Thinking of a fork in the road, approaching quickly...

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.

Which should i buy with my $25,000?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:42 pm

2006 Eclipse GT V6
50%
2006 Dodge Neon (SRT-4) (SXT)
No votes
Other... specify
50%

Total votes: 4
Neonskitcher
Local Neon Owner

Thinking of a fork in the road, approaching quickly...

Post by Neonskitcher »

k i'd make this a poll but, well yeah i'll make it a poll....

k so, i've got $25,000 to spend... lemme know...
Can you handle this speed?!
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Wait for the Solstice and Sky to come out. There are talks now of a Solstice coupe, I am so getting one.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
evlneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by evlneon »

a.) next gen eclipse (which i believe starts with the 06 m/y) is UGLY

b.) the neon is done after the 05 m/y (no 06 being made)

c.) the solstice is an overhyped turd (and still a cheap POS GM), if you want a roadster, wait for the next gen miata ;)

what i think you should do, buy a used SRT-4 (look around the other neon boards, there are a TON forsale), and mod the shit out of it. stage 3, suspension, wheels/tires, etc. 8)
PHIL | '03 MBP SUBY WRX | '98 FOREST GREEN NEON <- SOLD [img]http://diablo0.servehttp.com/neon ... .jpg[/img]
"Bryan! There's a message in my Alphabets! It says, 'OOOOOoooo.'" "Peter, those are Cheerios."
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

GM's quality and workmanship have increased dramtically over the last few years. I have heard the Cobalt interior is awesome so I would imagine the Solstice to be at least on a similar level. I mean hell, can it be any worse than a 1st gen Neon? :)

Don't get me wrong I don't like GM, and my last GM vehicle left a very bad taste in my mouth. But a small RWD car with a 4cyl that has proven itself (capable of producing 1000hp in race trim) sounds great to me. That and the ~20% discount I get through my Dad doesn't hurt that much either. :)

Neonskitcher
Local Neon Owner

hmmm...

Post by Neonskitcher »

:oops: i've never heard of that gm car....

Yeah miatas kick ass i wanted the door handles on my neon...
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Since you are not familiar, do a google search on them or something. the Pontiac Solstice is trickling to dealer right now, and the similar yet slightly more cushy Saturn Sky will be out early next year.

Neonskitcher
Local Neon Owner

Eh...

Post by Neonskitcher »

Well i just saw the commercial for the solstice, and i've never heard of the sky so i'll check it out too but this looks like so much more fun!

http://www.carshowcase.org/wallpaper/Mi ... ipse16.jpg
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

RWD is so much more fun than FWD. I dunno, I just dislike overweight FWD psuedo-sport coupes.

If you can deal with FWD, look into the Scion tC and Mini Cooper S. Those are the only FWD cars currently on the market I could see maybe see myself rolling.

evlneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by evlneon »

GM's interiors are still cheap crap... i made the unfortunate mistake of sitting in quite a few of the newer models (cobalt, G6 sedan, etc.) at the columbus auto show, and while the interiors look fresh... the finish on it is still classic GM shit. i like the interior on my 1g A WHOLE lot more than anything GM has out now. also, the solstice has absolutely NO trunk. that folding top/clamshell design of theirs looks nice, but it left them with no where to put a trunk. so they put small cubbies behinds the seats for a sock or maybe a glove or some earrings and shit. :roll: :lol:

now, we look at the next gen miata in comparo. not sure on the interior, but from the pics it looks GREAT. it actually HAS a trunk. it has the same est. power output as the solstice AND it still weighs LESS even in the new body style. mazda claims to have kept weight down to just within 23 lbs. of the current miata. so between solstice and miata.... miata all the way for me. :D 8)
PHIL | '03 MBP SUBY WRX | '98 FOREST GREEN NEON <- SOLD [img]http://diablo0.servehttp.com/neon ... .jpg[/img]
"Bryan! There's a message in my Alphabets! It says, 'OOOOOoooo.'" "Peter, those are Cheerios."
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Keep in mind the Miata will be hat, $4k more expensive? Thats enough to keep it out os range for someone like me. I don't need a trunk I wouldn't have one for my only car.

Neonskitcher
Local Neon Owner

yeah, i dunno...

Post by Neonskitcher »

well the miata is looking up i heard MX-5 and i got all excited, but the weight is good and the looks are nice, but the horses are sweet! so, that and the eclipse, heres the thing, i'm gonna test drive em and see... i've already tasted the mini cooper, and the SRT-4, and the SXT, and even a big dodge truck, which was horrible, the clutch length is like a million feet long, and it was heavy, but anyway the eclipse is looking like a winner, miata might have a close second, atleast until i scrounge up another $25,000... :twisted:
fusion210
Local Neon Owner

Re: Eh...

Post by fusion210 »

Neonskitcher wrote:Well i just saw the commercial for the solstice, and i've never heard of the sky so i'll check it out too but this looks like so much more fun!

http://www.carshowcase.org/wallpaper/Mi ... ipse16.jpg
If you like 3700lb fwd sixes. :?

$25,000? Have you seen the new Mustang GT? :)
Chris
No neon for garage, is a 1999 dohc like a 1995 sohc if girl drives? Or is 1998 if man drives to track r/t?
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Yeah I just have a hard time seeing how the Eclipse would be appaealing to anyone besides 20-30ish women. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but different strokes for different folks....

It might not be so bad if we all didn't have memories of how cool Eclipses USED to be (1st and 2nd gens).

Scotch
Local Neon Owner

Post by Scotch »

Vinny, Scion tC? Man, have you seen what those things weigh? I'd be surpised if you could get one to really handle well for that reason. Though, it's not bad as Scions go... at least it doesn't look like a Fridgedaire and has a decent size motor.

$25K -- Mustang GT, hands down. Got decent room, an aftermarket ALL other cars can only dream of, lots of speed, decent handling, probably pretty safe in an accident, LOTS of potential. Sure, everyone and their aunt is going to have a Mustang of some sort, but who cares?

If Dodge was going to make the Razor, I'd say go with that. But they're not. :(

FWIW, I like the looks of the new Eclipse WAAY more than the last one. Too bad it's heavier than it needs to be, and no RWD/AWD.

How about an old Miata with a SB Ford transplant? lol
~S~
'95 Plymo Coupe (sold - dammit)
'96 Dodge Sedan
'04 SRT-4
'05 PT Cruiser
'62 Merc Comet Wagon