This would be a Discussion... (about interchangeable parts)

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
2fast4u2see
Local Neon Owner

This would be a Discussion... (about interchangeable parts)

Post by 2fast4u2see »

Okay i got to thinking while at the local junkyard...
a 2.4 can be swapped easy enough now that we've got the how to's...
BUT! what about the bigger brakes? i mean can we put brakes from a stratus on our neons??? and if so would it really help that much for stopping power... here's how i got this idea... hmmm a big brake kit is, well adding inches to your rotors right? bigger rotors bigger brakes, more stopping power... (i realize you need the calipers also... this is just an inquiry, not a definitive point of any kind) 4 wheel disc brakes upgraded in size should be much better right?

Now as far as i'm concerned a 2.4 swap is to gain more speed in the lower rpms... i think thats why most guys swap em after their 2.0's blow... i've looked at the stats and a higher top speed can be accomplished also i mean duh its a bigger engine plus more horsepower.... well these were just some things i was brainstorming... i'd like to put some huge brakes on my neon... that'd be sweet... and if the hole pattern's don't match up i'm sure we can find a way around it right?

anyway just wondering what you guys thought... (and yes this may belong in the "getting dirty" or whatever but to each his own)
i think the brakes would/should work as long as the tubes for the brake fluid connect to the same holes... let me know what you guys think of... maybe we've got a whole new way to do our brake systems (or maybe somebody already thought of this and i'm wasting my time... :? )
I live my life one pop of the hood at a time, for those hours i'm pissed! :)
<wish it were mine, but all i've got is the hotwheels version :cry:
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

SRT-4 and PT Cruiser big brake kits can be adapted to a 1st gen Neon with either using a 2nd gen hub or machining down a stock 1st gen hub and using an adapter plate. I have also heard that an 11" rotor and associated caliper from a later LeBaron GTS can also be adapted. Vitor (www.neongoodies.com) sells a 1st gen big brake kit which uses almost all OEM parts, not sure exactly which cars bit I think it is a combination of P-body and Cloud car parts.

There is also a guy who can put together these kits for under $1k, Wilwood 4-piston calipers and Coleman 11"X1.25" racing rotors:

1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
2fast4u2see
Local Neon Owner

hmmm...

Post by 2fast4u2see »

So can the stratus/intrepid rotors fit? and how much of the stock 1st gens have to be turned down? (shaved)
I live my life one pop of the hood at a time, for those hours i'm pissed! :)
<wish it were mine, but all i've got is the hotwheels version :cry:
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Now i'm not sure how 1st gen knuckles/hubs are but if theyre like the 2nd gens the problem that there isn't room for larger rotors since there are two arms that come off the knuckles that the calipars are seated on. Also... for the same reason bolting up other, larger calipars with also be harder. For that reason is why us 2GN guys and probably 1st gen guys have to modify the knucle/hubs like vinny mentioned above.

In order to see if the Stratus/Intrepid rotors fit you'd have to see how much larger they to see if they'd have enough clearance....
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
oval_eyez
Local Neon Owner

Post by oval_eyez »

i work at NAPA and i could probably get he specs for the rotors Monday morning....

say a typical 97 Dodge Stratus front and rear rotors?
NEONS.ORG NAME--> -Ed-
| NOW GATHERING PARTS FOR SRT SWAP |
BCoN-96ACR
Local Neon Owner

Post by BCoN-96ACR »

Vinny wrote:SRT-4 and PT Cruiser big brake kits can be adapted to a 1st gen Neon with either using a 2nd gen hub or machining down a stock 1st gen hub and using an adapter plate. I have also heard that an 11" rotor and associated caliper from a later LeBaron GTS can also be adapted. Vitor (www.neongoodies.com) sells a 1st gen big brake kit which uses almost all OEM parts, not sure exactly which cars bit I think it is a combination of P-body and Cloud car parts.

There is also a guy who can put together these kits for under $1k, Wilwood 4-piston calipers and Coleman 11"X1.25" racing rotors:

Machfly on the .org