Insurance Question

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Insurance Question

Post by 03SRT-4 »

I have a question about insurance and I am hoping someone on here might know. Tonight I got a call from the husband of the lady I ran into when I was rear-ended about two weeks ago. He wanted the name and number of my insurance agent so that he can get a quote on their car. First of all if memory serves me right there was barely any damage to her van at all sans a few scratches MAYBE, but if there is damage how does this work since I was not cited in the accident. Does my insurance have to pay for it, which will in turn cause my premium to go up or does the guy who hit me and knocked me into this lady's van insurance pay for it?

This is my first accident and I don't really know a lot about how it works, so if anyone has been through this sort of thing or just knows something about it I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks
- Mike
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

This is what my dad had to say... he used to work for a insurance company so he knows all about this stuff...

Frist of all - the police should have what happen. Second you should have gotten in touch with your agent so he could collect the report. The person who hit you is the one at fault, because both cars were at a dead stop.

Anyone who hits you from behind is at fault. Your insurance company should pay for your repairs under the Uninsured/Underinsurd part of your policy. This could include a rental for you. After your company takes care of your repair they will in turn go after this person and sue him/her for the cost of the repair.

For the person you hit because of the 1st driver, give him the information about your agent, which should have been done at the accident site - and you need to get his information about him as well. It will be up to the insurance company at that point to make a determination on what part you are liable for - which may be - maybe partial. The police report will help the insurance companies sift through the problem You will proably be asked for an a testimony from your point of view of what happen. This will be done under oath, and the your insurance company will help with their lawyer. Should not cost you a thing for this affadavid.
Glad you were not hurt, but at this point you must let the insurance companies fight it out. I do not know how this will effect your rates, only your agent can let you know that.
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

As far as I know your insurance has to pay for their damage since it was your car that caused it, regardless of who's fault it actually is. The way they reason it is by claiming you didn't have assured clear distance and if you did then your car wouldn't have hit theirs when your car was hit. Basically, if your car impacts another vehicle regardless of reason it is your fault with the exception of them having ran a stop sign or red light or if your car is parked and knocked into another. It's pretty screwed up, but there are other states with no fault where your insurance pays for your own car and the other persons pays for their own car regardless of who's at fault.
'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

The way my insurance company works, if someone hit me and they were at fault in it, my insurance would pay for my damage, their insurance would pay for their damage and then my insurance company would go after their insurance company to collect the total damages.

Recently my dad was hit on his motorcycle by a lady changing lanes. He stuck him, knocked him down, broke a rib, road rash... ect... The police said she was at fault for improper lane change. His insurance company (Progressive) that covered his bike paid for the damage to his bike, after all was said and done and the bike was fixed Progressive went after her company to collect the damages.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

This is not too different from the accident where my ACR was totalled, except I was the front car. The person in back who caused it did not have insurance, he hit a lady and pushed her into me. My insurance did not even try to go after the lady in the middle since she was not the person at fault, and my uninsured motorist coverage was what covered me.

I think you should be in the clear on this one.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

Diablo0 wrote:
Recently my dad was hit on his motorcycle by a lady changing lanes. He stuck him, knocked him down, broke a rib, road rash... ect... The police said she was at fault for improper lane change. His insurance company (Progressive) that covered his bike paid for the damage to his bike, after all was said and done and the bike was fixed Progressive went after her company to collect the damages.
hmmm please tell me that was down in Cinci...lol... my mom just resently hit a motorcyclist....
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Yeah, he was hit by some lady from of Tennessee on I-75.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

Rate change from this crash will depend on the insurance company. Some will call it an INCIDENT and raise your rates accordingly even though it wasn't your fault. I learned that from being insured with Allstate, who counts replacing windshields as incidents that factor into your rates.

On the assured clear distance mentioned earlier, when I stop, my habit is to stay back far enough that I can see the back of the rear tires of the car in front of me above either the wipers or the hoodline, depending what I'm driving.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)

P.S. The investigating officer or now your insurance agent/adjuster needs to ask the person you hit if she felt one bump or two (no pun intended). One bump indicates the driver of the last car pushed your car into hers. Multiple bumps indicates your car hit hers and then the other driver hit yours.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

I talked to my insurance company today and they said that since I was not at fault that I don't have anything to worry about even if they do have to pay for some damage to the lady I hit, which they are going to dispute. I was happy to hear this because the last thing I need is a higher rate.
- Mike
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

sweet...so when do u get your SRT back on the road?
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

They were supposed to start on it today, and said it was a 13-14 day job, so I'm looking at about 2 more weeks at least.
- Mike