how-to: PDC bracket for battery relocation

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
Vinny
Admin

how-to: PDC bracket for battery relocation

Post by Vinny »

I'm in the process of mounting an Odyssey battery in front of the drivers wheel well of my '97 ACR (to make room for intercooler piping), and I needed a way to securely mount the PDC (power distibution center) under the hood without a battery tray. I made this bracket from 22ga sheet metal, it took me maybe 5 hours total to make with no real prior metal fab experience. I'm sure there are things I could have done better/differently with it, and a little heavier steel would have been nice, but I am happy with the way it turned out and figured I would share.

Tools I used:

jig saw (with fine steel blade)
bench grinder
bench vise
C-clamps
Vise-Grips
propane torch
hammer
round and flat files
drill with uni-bit
dremel tool

First I started by making a template out of posterboard, the top part with the tabs was traced from an Iceman battery tray. From there the pattern was transferred onto the sheetmetal.

I then cut the steel to the shape of my pattern using a jig saw with a fine steel cutting blade, using a dremel tool with a grinding bit to smooth out the corners.

Once I had the basic shape cut out and the mounting tab bent, I rolled the front edge over to prevent the bracket from flexing under the weight of the PDC. To do this I used a vice, C-clamps, Vice-Grips, two thick steel plates I had laying around, a propane torch and a hammer.

Here is is almost finished, with just a little bit of final finish work to be done.

And here it is mounted in the car. I still need to run the new battery cables and zip-tie the harnesses that were previously clipped under the PDC. For that matter I also need to clean up the top of my transaxle. :oops:

The bracket is now completely finished, with the edges all flattened up with a file and smoothed out with sandpaper. I still need to paint the bracket and do the final installation. I will post more pics of this when it is mounted permanently in the car.

Like I said, I have almost no experience with this type of thing, and as funny as it may sound, I learned most of the techniques used in making this from watching shows like American Chopper.

Stay tuned for my how-to for mounting an Odyssey PC680 battery in the stock washer bottle location using a modified Odyssey aluminun mounting bracket.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
05 SXT 5spd
Local Neon Owner

Re: how-to: PDC bracket for battery relocation

Post by 05 SXT 5spd »

Vinny wrote:I'm in the process of mounting an Odyssey battery in front of the drivers wheel well of my '97 ACR (to make room for intercooler piping), and I needed a way to securely mount the PDC (power distibution center) under the hood without a battery tray. I made this bracket from 22ga sheet metal, it took me maybe 5 hours total to make with no real prior metal fab experience. I'm sure there are things I could have done better/differently with it, and a little heavier steel would have been nice, but I am happy with the way it turned out and figured I would share.

Tools I used:

jig saw (with fine steel blade)
bench grinder
bench vise
C-clamps
Vise-Grips
propane torch
hammer
round and flat files
drill with uni-bit
dremel tool

The bracket is now completely finished, with the edges all flattened up with a file and smoothed out with sandpaper. I still need to paint the bracket and do the final installation. I will post more pics of this when it is mounted permanently in the car.

Like I said, I have almost no experience with this type of thing, and as funny as it may sound, I learned most of the techniques used in making this from watching shows like American Chopper.

Stay tuned for my how-to for mounting an Odyssey PC680 battery in the stock washer bottle location using a modified Odyssey aluminun mounting bracket.
Good job man, now you need to add a pair of tin snips to your tool box and dump the metal cutting blades :)
They come in right, straight and left cuts.
90 TSi AWD, Pewter Mist Metallic, picked up 4-20-98
Too many mods to list, but its fast. **FOR SALE**

05 SXT 5spd, Black/Charcoal, picked up 12-30-04.
^^^^^^
Traded for 04 Jeep Liberty Jan. 26th, 2007.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I have a set of tin snips, but my roommate used to work in some sort of metal shop said he thought the steel I had was too thick for them. I didn't even bother trying, I guess I should have just to see for myself.

thanks for the props
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!