Fuel Pump

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
sps20racer
Local Neon Owner

Fuel Pump

Post by sps20racer »

I picked up a 95 ACR and I'm having issues with it. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and its registering nothing. I checked to make sure there was power to everything and all fuses and relays are fine. I hot wired the fuel pump to a 12v source and it turns on fine. But when I plug it back in to the car nothing when I turn the key. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Who says neons dont kick ass!!!
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

hmmm.. are you having any other problems with it, will the car not crank? The only thing that I could think of right off the top of my head is that you have a short somewhere, since you said that you checked all your relays and fuses. I had a problem kind of like that... cept I kept having the 20 amp fuse in the engine bay keep, blowing and it immediately cut off all fuel. Every time I turned the key, I wouldnt hear the whirr from the pump... I still havent figured out why my fuse kept blowing...
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

sps20racer
Local Neon Owner

Post by sps20racer »

Well when I first got it it was firing up a little. It will crank over multiple times before it runs. It would be a really rough idle and as soon as you hit the gas it would die. Would the crankshaft or camshaft positioning sensor stop the fuel pump from running? Cuz I looked through the wiring diagram and I couldnt see anything getting in the way of the fuel pump besides a short in the wire. And the reason I'm mentioning those sensors cuz they are the only 2 I havent replaced on the motor.
Who says neons dont kick ass!!!
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

No as far as I know the two sensors shouldnt effect the pump, and if you say that you put it with a 12v source, and it worked the only other thing I could thing of that would cause the rough idle would be a vacuum leak somewhere.
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

The fuel pump should run for 2sec at key-on to pressurise the rail/injectors.

Get out the FSM (factory service manual) and check the wiring for the fuel pump/relay. Connect a DVOM to the fuel pump supply wire and look for voltage at key-on and then with the engine cranking. DON'T FORGET A FAILED GROUND CIRCUIT.

The crank sensor will keep the engine from running in addition to keeping the pump from running.

Jonathan.....