Seafoam?

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Seafoam?

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

ok guys i'm just wondering what the heck this stuff is? and what is it used for?
SRT_8_U
Local Neon Owner

Post by SRT_8_U »

cleaner for your engine, it cleans out the buildup and gunk.... I wish I could figure out how to put it in my car, but with the TB facing down, I dont wanna try it.... just pour some in your throttle body and watch as your car becomes the biggest smoke machine you've ever seen.... my buddie's 3KGT vr4 smoked for 20 minutes and filled the hole neighborhood....
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

that doesn't sound to healthy lol
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Its completetly heathly. I used it in my car and it smoked for about 20 minutes. Cleans alot of the carbon build up and makes the motor feel younger I guess. Turn on your car and spray it into your tb. Get the arosol stuff.

SRT 8 U, dont get the arosol and use a vaccuum line attached to your intake mani, what many do. the line will suck up the seafoam into the motor.
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

can it be used on older engines? say of over 200,000 lol...i know doing a engine flush is a nono for the older engines...and this seafoam sounds like the same type stuff... is it?
SRT_8_U
Local Neon Owner

Post by SRT_8_U »

nice idea.... never thought to do that....

I dont think it would hurt the motor to do it, it just removes the carbon and stuff, and I dont think carbon is holding the motor together... though I could be wrong :lol:
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Should make the older motor run better. When I did it, I heard more of a 'knock' you could say. But its was just because the carbon was cleaned off the pistons and such. I drove down the highway and dropped into 3rd and black smoke clouded the highway. Looked like James Bond crap!! lol. It cant hurt anything, only use 2/3 of the can/bottle tho.
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

can i get seafoam from Autozone? cause i've never seen it...or maybe i have and just never noticed?
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Yep, Autozone, Advanced auto parts both have it. I never noticed it before I looked. Get the arosol can of it. About $6.
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

You should have two people doing it so get a buddy. One of you sit in the car giving it gas, about 2,000 rpm because when you spray it in the tb the car will bog badly and you dont want it to stall. You want it to keep reving and burning it through the motor.
Metal_gear_jon
Local Neon Owner

Post by Metal_gear_jon »

You know , back in the day, when cars still had carbs, GM had and still sells this stuff called "Top engine cleaner". All you did was get the motor up to 2500, pour it down the carb SLOWLY, watch the smoke and after 5 minutes pour the last 3rd down really fast and stall the car. Let it sit for half an hour and start it up. Basically does what this seafoam shit and others do. And is what an induction service is at a dealer or any other car place. Engine flush , on the other hand, is what I used to try and sell you at the dealership if you came in for an oil change and were say 10,000 miles overdue. That crap WILL make an older motor start to knock.( just like 2.7s at 80,000 ) :)
'95 SOHC Sport ATX , slightly modded '95 SOHC Highline MTX , bought and sold. Shoot me , I needed the money.
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

is it worth doing on a older engine though? aka one that will most likely be rebuilt within a year.
Metal_gear_jon
Local Neon Owner

Post by Metal_gear_jon »

Not really, the stuff is more of a go between. You're gonna clean the motor anyway when it's alll apart right??????
'95 SOHC Sport ATX , slightly modded '95 SOHC Highline MTX , bought and sold. Shoot me , I needed the money.