Battery Light

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Battery Light

Post by LH95sohc »

Alright guys, I replaced my alternator about 2 months ago and didnt really have any problems with the car.....until now.... I keep getting this weird smell and then lo and behold my god damn battery light came on tonight and then everything got dim and then I managed to limp home.. Any ideas on what it could be bc I am STUMPED!!!
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Some of these may be dumb questsion...

How is the belt tension?
How does the belt look?
Is the positive lead ring terminal securely on the stud? I once tightened the nut onto the edge of the ring trerminal. (this is assuming it's a similar + connection on second gen alts.)

Do you have any stereo stuff in the car, amps?

Could just be a shit alternator too. Maybe try taking it to Auto Zone and have the stuff tested.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

Vinny wrote:Some of these may be dumb questsion...

Is the positive lead ring terminal securely on the stud? I once tightened the nut onto the edge of the ring trerminal. (this is assuming it's a similar + connection on second gen alts.)

Do you have any stereo stuff in the car, amps?
Well I got up under there and saw what it was, and somehow the nut came off the positive terminal, and on top of that, the plastic that is around it completely melted, and I dont understand why this keeps happening, , bc that is what happend on the old alternator and then it eventually burnt out... I dont have any amps or subs so I dont get why it keeps happening.
-SEAN

71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

This is one of many examples why I stress Neon owners to get a volt gauge as well as an oil pressure gauge, by the time the idiot lights come on your screwed. I put those gauges in my R/T and found the weak dying battery problem long before any idiot light came on, thus keeping me from being stranded. The oil light doesn't come on until it's pressure drops below 3-5 psi, by that time your screwed if not left with a locked up motor. Always put in any gauges the factory doesn't, in this case it's volt and oil. I swapped them into my SRT-4 when I sold my R/T and added an EGT gauge to the mix to fill out my triple pod pillar.
'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

looks like I might need to go to a three holed Gauge Pod instead of the two that I have right now that house my air/fuel and Oil Pressure. Yea for some reason the postive lead that goes to my battery kept arching evedentally and caused the thread to heat up and snap off and then I lost the connection between the batt, and the alternator. Replaced the alternator and havent had any probs.... cept the horrible squealing of the belt :evil: , but I'll check it in the morning...
-SEAN