for all you 2.4L owners out there

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

for all you 2.4L owners out there

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

does your engines have the same clicking gremlins as the 2.0L engine? we just bought 2 new cars...both with the 2.4L (2006 Sebring and a 2005 Stratus) and they both click like CRAZY and i've been getting worried... cause in the Sebring its been getting louder and louder!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

If you wanna include the 2.4 in the SRT as part of the 2.4 lineup it's a lot quieter than my 2.0 Magnum for valvetrain noise.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Midnight_Rider
Local Neon Owner

Post by Midnight_Rider »

I haven't heard it yet with my SRT but both of my 2GN Neons did it.
"Gramps"
"(It was a) little souped-up race car. These Dodge SRT Neons are turbo-charged... It's too much power, not enough car... " Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Jason Brooks
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

It seems like more of a SOHC/DOHC thing than anything. The two SOHC cars I have owned made more noise than my DOHC, but not by Much.

A set of Mopar Performance lash adjusters should fix either car.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

our SOHC dont click at all...except when its cold and its on startup...but after that they dont click...whereas our new 2 cars do it like crazy... oh well the Stratus is going in tomorrow anyways for a check up and the dealership is going to be looking into the clicking
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

Neoncrazy101 wrote:oh well the Stratus is going in tomorrow anyways for a check up and the dealership is going to be looking into the clicking
and then the dealership will charge you a arm and a leg for somethin that aint that expensive to fix....
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

nope...everything was free under warrenty... and they found the TPS sensor loose which was causing a rough idle and then they fixed the alligment and rotated the tires for free...and they didn't say anything was wrong with the clicking so it must just be normal operation for the 2.4L...
Metal_gear_jon
Local Neon Owner

Post by Metal_gear_jon »

They all tap.... Mopar has a tsb out about it . All it really says is to use 5w-20 or it may get louder. But if you really bitch about it, the dealer will throw on a set of rockers, just to make you happy (if of course, under warranty.) Dealer was actually right this time.....
'95 SOHC Sport ATX , slightly modded '95 SOHC Highline MTX , bought and sold. Shoot me , I needed the money.
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

I wanna say for the 2nd gens there's always a TSB or something out for it saying it's a design problem in the block :-? It's been awhile since I heard that, maybe a good 2 years now so I can't remember exactly what it said...
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Metal_gear_jon
Local Neon Owner

Post by Metal_gear_jon »

If I remember correctly, the block is designed with relatively little oil going to the head. There is an oil restrictor located in the oil passage near the top of the block. So by knowing this now, everyone should say "No shit sherlock!!" when someone asks if the tapping is normal..... :D
'95 SOHC Sport ATX , slightly modded '95 SOHC Highline MTX , bought and sold. Shoot me , I needed the money.