ANyone in Cincy know about electrical troubleshooting?

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
Vinny
Admin

ANyone in Cincy know about electrical troubleshooting?

Post by Vinny »

So somehow I managed to turn a simple fender-well battery relocation into an electrical fire in the ACR. I have no clue how to troubleshoot this kind of stuff whatsoever, anyone here think they can lend a hand? If I can't get it figured out in a week or so I am just going to part the entire car out.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Yeah i don't know much but I could lend a hand next week if you're still tinkering on it.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
monkeyman9630
Local Neon Owner

Post by monkeyman9630 »

electricity fun!!! to start with the simple, are all the wires covered? anyplace you know of that could be rubbing against something, sharp or not? a fire you say...that sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring. i had that once, my whole interior filled up w/ smoke before i unplugged the battery...it could be as little as a tear in the covering touching another wire or metal. if it smoked then it is most likely the "hot" wire that is in need of help. btw were one or all the wires melted looking? if you need any other help let me know 8)
-Lugo-
--Mopar or NO car-
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

All connections I made were crimped, soldered and had shrink tube applied. The battery was moved to the fenderwell, there was one place where the cables passed through steel and they were protected by a thick plastic grommet. The only wire I have found which appears to be melted was the ground strap between the cylinder head and the passenger fender. The destroyed ground has been replaced, but the issue I am having now is that I am getting continuity between ground and the battery positive input to the PDC (underhood fuse/relay box).

I have gone over it 50 times and cannot find a single are where I messed up. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm not positive where to start. I guess I am going to unhook the alternator, starter and )2 sensors and see if I still have the short. Hopefully I just fried the alternator or something. If that doesn;t work I will be tearing apart the wire look on as much of the engine wiring as I can to see if I melted any other wires, but what I have looked at so far all seems fine.

I don;t want to work on this car anymore, I just want to drive. I've had some bad luck with this one.

Metal_gear_jon
Local Neon Owner

Post by Metal_gear_jon »

Did you fry your computer in the fire? Is there power to the rest of the car? Some of the terminals in the PDC may have melted inside.How about posting a pic of what happened.. a boneyard harness with the PDC may be in order.
'95 SOHC Sport ATX , slightly modded '95 SOHC Highline MTX , bought and sold. Shoot me , I needed the money.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I have taken the PDC apart and everything looks good. So far everything looks good everywhere except for that one ground that melted. I haven't felt like getting out there and messing with it, half tempted to part out the whole car and spend the money on an A-Body.