last chance, I think I'm done...

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
Vinny
Admin

last chance, I think I'm done...

Post by Vinny »

If I can't get the ACR running tonight I think I am going to post it up on the boards for parts and start dissasembling it. I've traced the short down to somewhere in the chassis wiring, but I don't know where to really go from here and taking it somewhere would be more money than it's worth. If anyone thinks they can help track down this problem let me know, I'll be messing with it tonight and unless someone can talk me out of it quick it's gonna go.

I'll be keeping my blue car and possibly putting a few more mods on it, and I still have plans to replace it with a little nicer 1st gen eventually which I might mod even more. I won't be going anywhere, I'm just not going to have an overly nice Neon anymore.

All the money from selling the the parts off the black car will go toward an A-Body Mopar project, one of my long-time dream cars. I should be able to get a clean V8 auto car for around $5k, and the first thing I do will be a 4-speed swap. I've been craving something RWD for so long, and I think I need to just go for it before my Neon depreciates any more and before A-Body prices jump up any higher.

Let me know if you need any first gen performance parts, or think you can help get it going, or otherwise want to try and talk me out of it.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
AlexSuave23
Local Neon Owner

Post by AlexSuave23 »

I wouldn't blame you Vin, you've been through a lot of bad luck with it and maybe it's time to move on to that A-Body you've been dreaming of. Do you think the fucked wiring could be something to do with when it was rear-ended?

BTW, if you part it out you'll have to swap the Rotas and Sparco stuff onto the DD and lower, that'd be one kickass beater fo sho!
1998 R/T coupe - Full bolt-on's and some extras *SOLD*
1998 S-10 ZQ8 - Shaved and slammed *SOLD*
1997 Cobra - CAI, X-Pipe, Flowmasters, 3.73 gear, short throw.....gettin' there.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Nah, I don't think the wiring is accident-related. If that were the case it would have reared its ugly head much sooner.

I very possibly will put the Eibachs on the beater, and the Rotas temporarily. The Sparco seats I am gonna save for the A-body, and provided I get an A-Body with the small bolt pattern my Rotas should fit on it with spacers.

Dunny doesn't want me to do it, but I don't know what else to do. If I could find someone who could fix it for $150 or so I'd keep it, but I don't know if I'll find anyone.

mynameiskiller
Local Neon Owner

Post by mynameiskiller »

do neons have a bulkhead like the older mopars? if it does, couldnt you theoretically just buy the new engine harness and plug n play?
just remember, killer is sneaky... and, he hates you.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

The engine harness does seperate from the chassis wiring via two large connectors. Thing is the short is in the chassis side of the wiring that stretches throughout the entire car.

Why a fuse didn't blow is beyond me. Maybe Ineed to hook power up with the new ground installed and see if any fuses do blow?

Even if I get it running I will still be tempted to sell as much as I've been looking on ebay and www.forabodiesonly.com.

Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Vinny, Ive not been on here much lately but I vote for you to keep it. A lot of people have been getting rid of their neons lately and I know you'll regret it once its gone. Find a local electrician, or at least check the .org for help or someone to help you if you havent done that already. Once it all gets figured out you'll be happy and love your decision. But...on the other hand, whats parts are on the car if you do decide to part it? 8)
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
mynameiskiller
Local Neon Owner

Post by mynameiskiller »

hey vin, i was just taking a shit and paging throught a JC Whitney catalog, and they have this device that traces shorts. it says it works through metal and carpet, etc. the cat. number is CC149374... maybe it would help?
just remember, killer is sneaky... and, he hates you.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Thing is I have debated getting rid of the Neon for a while. I had an A-Body once, got rid of it and have always regretted my decision. lol That's why I want another one.

If I can get it fixed somehow without spending too much money I will keep it. I have asked on .org and the only people who seem to know enough about that stuff are really far away and say they don't know what to tell me without seeing the car. I'm waiting to catch this guy Paul that I know on AIM, used to work with him at a car stereo shop and he knows more about this stuff than anyone else I know.

I'm not exactly sure how that circuit tester works, but it's something to consider.

As for what I would have to get rid of, check my mod list in my garage section. I'd be getting rid of everything except the boogerbushings, Sparco seats and my Rotas.