Viper Steering Wheel Fit?

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Viper Steering Wheel Fit?

Post by 03SRT-4 »

Has anyone seen the color accented steering wheels in some of the newer Vipers? They have accents that match the color of the exterior on them, plus that bad ass looking viper symbol in the middle. I have been wanting to do something with my steering wheel for a while, but unfortunatle with air-bags I am sort of limited. So I thought maybe I could get one of those viper wheels from somewhere that has the yellow accents to match my car. The only thing is I have never seen one up close and don't know if they are roughly the same size or not. Does anyone know if they are close, and if I will have troubles putting it in, because I have never replaced a steering wheel or done any work on one with an air-bag. Or would it be more trouble than it is worth.
- Mike
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Probably be more trouble that it's worth since any part thats for the viper is going to cost you a limb unless you can find used and even then... probably going to cost you a lot. It'd probably match up and could work, the only thing that might not work is the clockspring but dodge is good and sharing parts so they may use the same style clockspring in all their cars or atleast some of them.

If it bolts up replacing wouldn't be that hard, only two bolts on the side of wheel hold the bag on. Pull the bag out, disconnect it and the horn connection to remove it completely. Then remove the center nut that holds it onto the hub assembly and you might just be able to pull it off but if not you'll need a tool to pull it off sort of like a pulley puller. Then just do everything in reverse to put the wheel back on but when putting it on make sure the wheels are strait and put the wheel on strait.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
05 SXT 5spd
Local Neon Owner

Post by 05 SXT 5spd »

Diablo0 wrote:Probably be more trouble that it's worth since any part thats for the viper is going to cost you a limb unless you can find used and even then... probably going to cost you a lot. It'd probably match up and could work, the only thing that might not work is the clockspring but dodge is good and sharing parts so they may use the same style clockspring in all their cars or atleast some of them.

If it bolts up replacing wouldn't be that hard, only two bolts on the side of wheel hold the bag on. Pull the bag out, disconnect it and the horn connection to remove it completely. Then remove the center nut that holds it onto the hub assembly and you might just be able to pull it off but if not you'll need a tool to pull it off sort of like a pulley puller. Then just do everything in reverse to put the wheel back on but when putting it on make sure the wheels are strait and put the wheel on strait.
The easier way is to find someone who recolors interiors and have him/her color the part of your wheel to match. That way the color will match exactly and no fitment problems.
90 TSi AWD, Pewter Mist Metallic, picked up 4-20-98
Too many mods to list, but its fast. **FOR SALE**

05 SXT 5spd, Black/Charcoal, picked up 12-30-04.
^^^^^^
Traded for 04 Jeep Liberty Jan. 26th, 2007.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

Yeah having it painted would be the easiest solution, and may be what I end up doing.
- Mike