Caliber SRT-4

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Caliber SRT-4

Post by 03SRT-4 »

When I frist saw the Dodge Caliber I was absolutley heartbroken that they were replacing the neon with an SUV/Hatchback/stationwagon thing. Now the more and more I see them they seem to be growing on me. They had one at the Columbus Auto show and my wife and I sat in it. It was nice, more room, and she really liked it. It was not nearly as ugly as it had seemed in the photos I had seen.

Well this months Car and Driver has a article on the Caliber SRT-4, and I have to say I am quite impressed. I had seen pictures and stats before on various websites, but for the first time I liked what I saw. 300 hp 260 tq are very impressive numbers, and they have changed quite a few things from the 03-05 Neon SRT-4s, I definatly like the 19in wheels. Now I am not thinking about trading in my 03, but this could quite possibly be the wife's next car since it comes out about a year from now, which is when she plans to get a new car. I just hope they offer them in some better colors than the burgandy they show all the time. I think a black one would look pretty nice.
- Mike
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

The SRT version looks better than the plain Caliber, but I'm still not a fan. It is rated higher in power and torque as well as redline, but the claimed performance isn't very impressive for all the extra power, it's 0-60 MPH is manufacturer claimed to be under six seconds. It actually seems more like the SRT-4 engine stays the same as it has been and they simply released it's actual power ratings and possibly retuned it slightly for a little more, kinda like Stage 1 stock. It's performance seems to be between the same as the Neon SRT-4's and not quite as good.
'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I dont care how much power it makes I won't own one. I just can't handle how the thing looks, performance is priority with me but for the money I would rather have a slower Cooper S, Solstice, Scion TC, whatever. I wouldn't own a Neon SRT-4 for the exact same reasons, and to me the Caliber is even worse.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

For looks I really don't like it but I sat in it at the Detroit AutoShow and it is quite comfortable. For a family sort of car or whatever it's really not that bad. I don't think I'd own one though still b/c of how it looks as a mini SUV like the CR-V among others.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

Now we all know how all the dodge shadow guys felt! :wink:
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

Anyone read the Motor trend shootout between the Caliber and the other hatchbacks?

The AWD Caliber they tested weiged in at 3316 pounds!!!!!

DAMN that's heavy!
Jonathan (RopeRat1)
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

lil red one wrote:Now we all know how all the dodge shadow guys felt! :wink:
lol that's funny

Except I hope they didn't feel this way. The Neon almost seems like an evolution of the Shadow, where the Caliber is completely different.

Skill
Local Neon Owner

Post by Skill »

Vinny wrote:
lil red one wrote:Now we all know how all the dodge shadow guys felt! :wink:
lol that's funny

Except I hope they didn't feel this way. The Neon almost seems like an evolution of the Shadow, where the Caliber is completely different.
omg dont even bring up the dodge shadow my g/f just got rid of her 94 dodge shadow es hatch for a 2003 4 dr. bright white SXT Neon and omg she says she love sit so much better .. and i can tell u the dodge shadow was a WORTHLESS CAR .. the NEON no one will ever stop loving it .. the caliber = another wannbe SUV that can't handle it.
RYAN HICKS
She's fast, low, sexy, and clean ... something every car envies.
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

I would have to say that the caliber is not a worthy replacement for the neon, and I think dodge will be sorry that they did this. It is just not the same. What I was saying about the Caliber SRT-4 is that it is not as bad as I had originally thought, and I think it will make a nice car for my wife (better than the Pontiac Grandam she drives now).
- Mike
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

Yea there line up is gonna have a big hole for a fuel efficcient small subcompact like the yaris (I think thats the new sentra when it gets upsized next year) or the smaller than civic "smart" there bringin over here soon. Heck the way there doin it at dodge here recently we may get the razor butr they'l call it the dart!
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

I have heard Chrysler will have a smaller car soon, even heard it might be a rabadged VW Polo which would be sweet. I know it sounds crazy, and I've had people call BS on it, but if you look into it you will see that VW will soon have a Caravan-based minivan so it's not totally impossible.

I don't think all Shadows are worthless, ask a CSX owner what they think of their Shadow. :)

Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

I dont know, Im not a real fan of the Caliber either. Its alright and would be fine for long trips and all but thats not my knid of car. Is what makes me sick is how every single Dodge has the same Ram front end! WTF is up with that??? Its annoying and hidious other than on the Ram. Do you guys have a link to a pic of the SRT-4 Caliber cuz I may like it and look into it. :roll:

-Tyler
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

Here is one with a few pics, but if you just google it you'll find about a million sites with pics and specs.

http://www.drivesrt.com/en/dodge/caliber/
- Mike
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

I like it! Although it looks more like a kind of modern muscle car instead of a 4cly turbo car.

-Tyler
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
Skill
Local Neon Owner

Post by Skill »

i like the music ...
RYAN HICKS
She's fast, low, sexy, and clean ... something every car envies.