Caliber SRT-4

This the place to talk about Neons, other cars, things that bother you, or anything else.
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

I want to keep my SRT-4, but if they do make the Challenger R/T concept car a production reality and I have to give up my SRT-4 to get it, then I will, but I will try like hell to keep my SRT-4 and get the Challenger. There has been no word from Dodge as to wether they will build it or when, so hopefully if they do (and they better) it will be after I get the SRT-4 paid off. I've been waiting for and wanting a true new musclecar even since I got my Roadrunner and the Challenger will hopefully be it.

'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

There is a nice article about it in the real mopar mag about if it's gonna make production or whatever... I haven't gotten a chance to read it all but what I have read says that it will with how much feedback they've gotten on it.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

Yeah I know what you mean, I was completly disappointed when the Charger came out as a 4-door Family Sedan. Then I saw the concept for the Challenger and I was absolutly floored. I want my next car to be a muscle car, and before was strongly considering a Mustang. Now however I think I will wait a few years and see if Dodge comes through for us and makes the Challenger. I heard a rumor that if they do they may offer an SRT version that would have a 6.7 liter HEMI and produce somewhere around 500 horsepower. That is insane, and I love it. Lets all cross our fingers and hope Dodge makes the right decision.
- Mike
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

Yea but starting at over 40k its gonna be real hard for most neon owners to pony up that kinda scratch.Just think about it the v8 chargers and 300s (from which this will use the same"modified" platform and motors)start at 30k with an old reworked benz automatic(the platform itself a generation old e-class benz platform with the aluminum suspension components replaced with stamped steel).Add to that the viper six speed tranny,probly sharing the upgraded suspension components with the charger r/t and a rear end that can handle the abuse of a manual tranny (probly vipers too)and you can see how the bean counters are gonna start jacking up the price to cover the costs.
The 300c/charger/magnum platform is a heavy one anyway at around 4200lbs(according to dec.2005 issue of motor trend) I really cant see it loosing all that much wheight in its transition to "challenger" and as we all know the heavier the car the harder it is to stop go and turn all of which will require a good amount of over $3bux a gallon go juice (even with cylender deactivation giving 17mpg with a lead foot 24 mpg when grandma drives,if it'l be an option)...And remember challenger and cuda' were made for trans-am racing or road racing.At the time they were state of the art lightwheight cornercarvers with monster motors but most stuck with the 440 six pack due to the better handling with the lighter motor.So unlike ford continuing to use a solid rear axel to keep v8 mustang prices below 30k the challenger will have to have independent rear suspension to be a "challenger".
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

The price is definitely a down side. That is why I am hoping that it does not come out until spring/summer of 08. By then I will be graduated from Physical Therapy School, my srt-4 will be payed off, and I will be making enough money to afford a 40k vehicle.
- Mike
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

The weight and price issues are my fears as well, but the price issue I'm hoping to get taken care of with a change in occupation this spring. They have rumored that they may use the 500 horsepower 392 they debuted at SEMA, but there have been many rumors about the Challenger floating around, just like the BS one about the naked model posing on it at the Detroit show. For them to stand a chance with the Challenger it will have to perform at least as well as the competition and be priced like them as well, which keeps it affordable and well performing.

I do like the Calibers commercial with the pixie/fairy, they're obviously trying to completely reverse the image they gave to the Neon (Hi!).
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

or priced higher than the competition but with alot more car for the price.I can see mustang coming in around 30 the new camaro around high 30s(like the gto) and challenger comming in starting at 40 with topline srt8 models nearing 60k but able to hang with the z06 vette along with the phase out or complete redo of the viper to justify its 80 to 90k pricetag.
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

The newest Viper Coupe has been a huge disappointment and Dumler has destroyed them by changing everything that made them great and that expensive. The R/T 10 and GTS versions were hand built and every engine was dynoed to insure they put out no less than the advertised amount and if they didn't they were rebuilt until they did or recycled. With the power loss shown in the Motor Trend issue where they tested the new Viper SRT-10 Coupe, new Z06 and Ford GT, the Viper not only had the most loss, but it was far more loss than it should have and was more Viper the RWHP numbers that the GTS would have with 50+ less horsepower. I think Dumler has made Dodge switch from handbuilding the engines at least and that they are now assembly line built. The Viper use to be so expensive because of the quality control, but now with that gone and massive power loss that keeps it behind the Z06 at half it's price, they need to reduce the price by almost half or get back the quality.
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Wow, I never read that. Thats crazy!
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

lil red one wrote:or priced higher than the competition but with alot more car for the price.I can see mustang coming in around 30 the new camaro around high 30s(like the gto) and challenger comming in starting at 40 with topline srt8 models nearing 60k but able to hang with the z06 vette along with the phase out or complete redo of the viper to justify its 80 to 90k pricetag.
I still can't see justifing a 60k price tag on an srt8 model. Consider the Mustang GT 500 which will be released later this year. For around 40gs it has 475 hp which is said to produce a 12.9 sec 1/4 mile and a 0-60 in the mid 4s. Even an SRT version of the challenger with 500hp would have trouble achieving that considered the higher curb weight. I personally would prefer the challenger to the mustang (as long as they don't change too much between the concept and actual production), but not for 10-20k more.
- Mike
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

yea but with that big iron block and solid rear axel the gt500 wont ever handle as good an all aluminum block 6.1liter hemi challenger with factory independent rear suspension...and good luck getting a gt500 for close to 40k.If ford spent the money for irs and an aluminum block it would be closer to 50k
03SRT-4
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03SRT-4 »

They have already stated that the GT500 will start at around 40k. Anyway I don't really want one I was just stating that Dodge will have a hard time selling the challenger if it indeed reaches the 50-60k range, except to diehard mopar guys like ourselves.
- Mike
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

Ford was debating wether or not to bump up the GT500 to 500 horsepower to give the name a dual meaning, but I have only heard the 475 horsepower as a sure thing. If the Challenger goes for $60K then I'll get another car I've always wanted and loved dearly, I'll get a Viper GTS and beat the piss out of anything slower than an 11.9 in the 1/4. Either way I WILL have a Viper GTS, oh yes, I WILL have one......sure I may not get one until I'm 90 and it may come out of a junkyard, but I WILL have one. :D
lil red one
Local Neon Owner

Post by lil red one »

Yea im right there with you I've seen some first gen vipers on e bay starting around 20k with low miles.In my oppinion you cant beat that as a performance value except parts are gona cost a little more.