Oil Pressure Gauge

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by LH95sohc »

Has anyone installed a Oil Pressure Gauge in their neon? I heard that they were a bitch to install.
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

It's not hard at all, a little harder on a SOHC than a DOHC.

On a SOHC you need to get a brass T fitting for where the factory oil pressure sender is. install the factory sender and the aftermarket sender in the T, use some yellow teflon tape on all the threads and you are in business. I don't recall the thread sizes for the T fitting tho. There's a really good how-to in the Archived Posts section on neons.org that will have the thread sizes and go into more general detail.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Actually since it looks like you have an 01 you dont' even need to make the T-Fitting. The T is on there there to allow you to keep your stock pressure switch but when you disconnect it on 00-02 models no code is thrown or any oil light. You just need to take out the stock pressure switch and install the autometer unit. But to install the autometer unit you'll need to pickup a 3/8" to 1/8" adaptor at Home Depot or Lowes to screw the autometer unit into the adaptor then that assembly into the block.

You'll also need an oil pressure sensor socket from Autozone or any other autoparts store. I forget what size but they should have some stock sensors instock to use to find out what size you'll need.

Also.. be sure to wrap all the fittings in yellow teflon or any other teflon that is resistant to petroleum products. It should say if it'll work on the label of whatever you buy.

It's not that hard of an install, just hard to get to as the halfshaft is in the way to reach your hand up there. That and there isn't a lot of room to tighten everything down.

Here's the howto Vinny mentioned.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... l+pressure

Here's some more info off 2GN.org

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70 ... l+pressure
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=77 ... l+pressure
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Lucky 2nd gen guys, we get a CEL w/ no sender.

I forgot about the special socket. I think the one I have actually will work on more than one size, I remember the packaging even said something about being for Chrysler vehicles. I think I got mine at Advance.

Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

I picked mine up at KOI... Advance said they didn't carry such a thing :lol:
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

Vinny wrote:Lucky 2nd gen guys, we get a CEL w/ no sender.

I forgot about the special socket. I think the one I have actually will work on more than one size, I remember the packaging even said something about being for Chrysler vehicles. I think I got mine at Advance.
I installed an AutoMeter Pro Comp Ultra Lite oil pressure and volt gauge in my '99 R/T and it didn't turn on my CEL or throw any codes, I thought that it would but it didn't, and I simply replaced the factory sending unit with the AutoMeter. The only things I had to do was get the special socket and a brass adapter fitting to go from the AutoMeter size to the engine blocks size (I already had the teflon tape).

I installed mine from the top, but I had the Mopar/Iceman CAI and Mopar Performance chrome header which made it fairly easy to do from above.

I took the gauges out of my R/T before I sold it to put in my SRT-4. Now I need to install those two gauges and the matching AutoMeter EGT gauge (which won't get hooked up until I get the Maxxfab 3" turbo to Mopar exhaust kit) into my SRT-4, but I need to find either another place to install my oil sending unit or T the factory one, because I hear that it will turn on the CEL if the factory sending unit isn't hooked up.
'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

^^^^ That's interesting, I have heard conflicting info on that leaning toward that it will.

71Roadrunner
Local Neon Owner

Post by 71Roadrunner »

Unless they made changes to the PCM that deal with the oil sending unit, I have no idea why any would be different. Mine had the Mopar Performance PCM in it when I bought it from the previous owner so maybe there's a difference with it, but that would be stupid to make it to where it wouldn't warn you when you lose pressure or sending unit signal.
'71 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440, Auto. (Modified)
'04 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo, 5-Spd. (Modified)
'99 Dodge Neon R/T, 2.0L, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Modified) Sold
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2L Turbo II, 5-Spd. (Stock) Sold