trying to get more power

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
dodge96mopar
Local Neon Owner

trying to get more power

Post by dodge96mopar »

im looking to get some more power out of my car, does anyone have any suggestions on some things i could do that wont break the bank. all comments are appreciated
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Do you have anything at all done to your car yet? I would say a decent intake is the first thing to do. Iceman is the best bolt-on intake, but they aren't made anymore so you would have to find a used one for sale somewhere. The only other decent option besides that is to make your own out of the intake tube to a 3.0L Caravan and a short piece of steel pipe (I think it's 2.5"). Avoid any intake that puts the filter at the back of the engine bay above the exhaust.

After that look into a bigger throttle body. A stock manual trans 1st gen Neon has a 49mm TB, you can swap out a 52mm TB from an automatic Neon, you can get bored stock TBs up to 57mm, or Modern Performance makes a billet 60mm TB.

Another good one is an underdrive pulley, Modern Performance makes a good one

Also look into either a Mopar Performance or AFX ECU. My ACR had a few mods already when i got it, but just the Iceman intake and AFX ECU produced a half-second improvement in 1/4 mile times.

Beyond that you would be looking at a header and 2.5" exhaust (Dynomax makes a nice 2.5" piping set that's only about $75), cam(s)/valvetrain, and a port/polished head. There's a lot more that can be done, but these are the basics

I don't know what your experience level is, but I am always willing to help or be hired for installations, I have a decent amount of experience with these cars and most of the special tools that are sometimes needed.

topic moved...
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
dodge96mopar
Local Neon Owner

Post by dodge96mopar »

thanks for the comments, im going to invest in some of the things you said. i already have the full intake system that runs down close to the tire, that was my first upgrade.
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

what about a bigger bore throttle body? They are good for a few hp and better throttle response.

-Tyler
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......