Engine situation

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
aggieman
Local Neon Owner

Engine situation

Post by aggieman »

I have a 98 r/t that has almost 110k on it. The few mods that I have are fun but it is time to get serious. Problem is this is my daily driver and only car I have available at this time. I have a sohc engine that was given to me(runs but makes some bottom end noise).
I am thinking of rebuilding the sohc and putting it in the r/t while I fully build the dohc from it. :idea: Needless to say I want as much power as possible from the sohc while I use it in the r/t and I will be putting it in another neon in the future so I can invest some in it. The questions I have are as follows:

Will the engine swap work, if so what needs changed to make it work?

What are the most cost effective mods to the sohc given that I will have it torn apart and can invest some in it?

Am I nuts? :shock:

Thanks for any help with this, Jason
1998 r/t - Iceman, Pacesetter exhaust, Hurst short shift, Booger Bushings, ATX TB
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

You going turbo or N/A? If you are going N/A, build up the SOHC bottom end. Then when you are ready to swap put your DOHC head on the SOHC bottom end for a slightly higher compression ratio (if you are still using stock pistons). If you are going turbo, you would be better off with the DOHC bottom end unless you are getting some low-compression turbo pistons or something.

I think it would be a big waste of time to do two swaps. You would have to mess with a bunch of wiring to get the SOHC to work, and to me it seems like it would be a huge hassle.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!