Grrrrr you guys.

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
greenneon95
Local Neon Owner

Grrrrr you guys.

Post by greenneon95 »

I just want to kno if there are any aftermarket transmissons that will fit and handle more horsepower.... I have no idea how much horsepower it can handle..... but thats all i really want to kno is where to get another aftermarket one and how much the stock one can handle.
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

There isn't anything that will bolt up directly. There are aftermarket trannys that can be adapted, but be prepared to spend 5x what your car is worth on just the transaxle, and another 3x what your car is worth getting axles that fit and custom fabricating everything needed to make it work. you are talking serious custom work.

But like I/we already said, you don't need a beefier tranny. If I remember right the old Darrel Cox/Phatridz 1st gen drag car was putting down 600+ HP through just a standard-issue NVG T-350 (what Neons come with stock) with a Quaife differential and DSS axles.

If you have $15k sitting around go for it, but unless you are making 1000+ HP you are just wasting your money.

What I am pretty sure happened to your transaxle was a differential failure. That can be prevented from happening again with the purchase of a $1200 Quaife differential.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
evlneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by evlneon »

yea, seriously dood. like vin said, it's gonna cost upwards of $10-15K just to get an aftermarkt racing transmission. and seeing as you have a 95 model right? yea, that's gonna be like at least 5-8 times what your car is probably even worth.

your best bet is to just get a new tranny, install a quaiffe if you're really scared of blowing the diff pin outta the case again. or you could just stop beating the piss out of the tranny by not shifting like a jackass and not doing crazy burnouts all the time (sorry for the assumptions, but that's usually what costs you a diff pin on an otherwise stock motor).

as far as building the drivetrain up to handle more power, you really don't need to do much as far as changing the tranny (cept for maybe the differential itself). what you really need to focus on changing are the axles since the stock ones will only be good for about 200 HP (if that).

but yea, as vin said, don't waste your money on shit like a racing transaxle unless you're building up some kind of NHRA sport compact hot rod class car. :roll:
PHIL | '03 MBP SUBY WRX | '98 FOREST GREEN NEON <- SOLD [img]http://diablo0.servehttp.com/neon ... .jpg[/img]
"Bryan! There's a message in my Alphabets! It says, 'OOOOOoooo.'" "Peter, those are Cheerios."
greenneon95
Local Neon Owner

thanks

Post by greenneon95 »

Thanks thats the answer i was looking for hehe.
Epitaphrox
Local Neon Owner

Screw aftermarket...

Post by Epitaphrox »

My neon has a Centerforce 2 clutch in it brand new, it just needs the engine, yours needs the tranny so just swap it out...

$300

Epitaphrox@yahoo.com
1996 highline -Sold!
FuzzysCar
Local Neon Owner

Post by FuzzysCar »

Are there any 4 speed auto tranny's that will bolt up to the 1st gen (99). ??? just wondering
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Technically a 4-speed auto will bolt to the engine, but I'm not positive it will physically fit in a 1st gen. I haven't heard of anyone doing the swap, and it certainly wouldn't be worth it for the amount of fabrication and wiring required.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
FuzzysCar
Local Neon Owner

Post by FuzzysCar »

oh. that may be the reason i havent seen/heardc of any. Except for maybe a race car or something