help gas leak

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
OHIO_NEON
Local Neon Owner

help gas leak

Post by OHIO_NEON »

well no one on the org gave me any help so i'll come to the local people. It drips gas from the tank and if you rub around the opening in the tank were the fuel pump goes theres even a little there although its like it comes from the hole and then drips off the gas tank? I dont know what could be the problem?
-Jim Johnson
1995 Neon
2.0l
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Seems to me you found the problem for the most part. You might want to try using something to seal where you think the gas might be leaking from. Or maybe just replace the fuel pump, it's cheap insurance anyway.

Sorry that's all I got.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

Run the car till the fuel level is below 1/4 tank (makes the tank a lot easier to handle), then lower the tank with all lines attached.

Look for staining around any of the connections and esp the fuel pump ring. There is a square-cut o-ring that seals the pump assembly to the tank.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)
Scotch
Local Neon Owner

Post by Scotch »

FWIW, my '95 has a leak in the tank, too. I found it when I was replacing the rusted-out rear brake lines (PITA) I believe it's coming from the top of the tank, but I haven't dropped it completely, so it's just speculation. New Neon gas tanks aren't all THAT expensive if you know where to look. Got mine at Advance...
~S~
'95 Plymo Coupe (sold - dammit)
'96 Dodge Sedan
'04 SRT-4
'05 PT Cruiser
'62 Merc Comet Wagon