anybody use Maaco?

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
oval_eyez
Local Neon Owner

anybody use Maaco?

Post by oval_eyez »

i would love to get the neon painted black.... and im looking for a cheap job lol.... anybody ever use Maaco?
NEONS.ORG NAME--> -Ed-
| NOW GATHERING PARTS FOR SRT SWAP |
suprch1c
Local Neon Owner

Post by suprch1c »

i've heard a lot of bad about em...definitely search that on the .org cuz im pretty sure i read about it all there
fusion210
Local Neon Owner

Post by fusion210 »

You get what you pay for man.
Black is a pretty bad color to do over red. Any knick, flake, scrape, is going to show red.
If you don't do all the prep work yourself, you'll either end up paying them $$$ for probably half assed work, or you get no prep and it will turn out bad.

If you REALLY have your heart set on the paint job, I would get a few books at the library and plenty of materials. Get an extra set of wheels/tires that you don't care if they get overspray on. Take out the door panels and all trim close to the body. Do all your own stripping and sanding and whatnot.
THEN bring it into Maaco. I would spend a few extra bucks on quality paint. Then just have them spray it. And you finish it up.
Carcraft has had some great articals on DIY paint as well. I'd look for old issues to check those out.

My ex stepdad's brother (lol family ties) owned a Maaco. My mom got her car done for really cheap. They did all the bodywork and prep. Turned out really nice. Just had to add that, the quality probably varies A LOT from town to town. I would ask around and see what the locals thought of the body shops around you.

Or just rattle can it. 8)
Chris
No neon for garage, is a 1999 dohc like a 1995 sohc if girl drives? Or is 1998 if man drives to track r/t?
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

We had a used ambulance and a donated Suburban from the Dept. of Forestry done at Maaco for the volunteer service I ride with.

The paint itself was a decent quality but the bodywork started showing rust bubbles within a few months.

If you can do without the car a while, check with the auto body instructor at your local tech college.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

As was already basically said, Maaco will do a decent job on the painting itself, they just suck at prep work.

Even my dude who is the manager of San Francisco's largest independantly owned body shop says I should have Maaco spray my car when it comes time, since I plan on doing a lot of the prep myself anyway. BUT, I would never trust a place like Maaco to do something like a color change, especially that drastic. There is soooo much additional work into doing a color change without half-assing it.

My opinion is that if you want a black Neon, buy a black Neon. Neons are so cheap anymore that as much as you will pay for the paint job you can just buy an entire car.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!