Highly Frustrated... Turn Signal Bulb Replacement

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

Highly Frustrated... Turn Signal Bulb Replacement

Post by 03sxt »

Okay, should it take more than 5 minutes to change out front turn signals?! I decided to buy some chrome turn signals today for my front lights on my '03 SXT and just got back inside frustrated as all hell. Am I a moron or do you really have to either dismantle the whole front end of the car or remove the air box assembly to change the front turn signals? What was Dodge thinking? Easy maintenance like this should take 5 minutes - No more!

Anyways - Can anyone lend a helping hand on letting me know the easiest way to go about replacing my front turn signal bulbs? Thanks a bunch! :o
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Talk to fatallyURS, she put them in the other week and she still has her stock airbox and everything.... yeah it's a pain with the airbox installed, which isn't to hard to remove but I think she got to it without having to remove it... might just take some small hands or something.

All else fails, if you take the airbox out, it's very easy to get to.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03sxt »

Diablo0 wrote:might just take some small hands or something.
Heh. Funny that you mention it. I had a tall, skinny guy from work give me a hand and he got the old ones out and the new ones in with a little struggling and a small cut on his knuckle without removing anything. :)

The thing that sucks, is these bulbs are supposed to produce amber light (packaging says "A new hyper-AMBERr look!") and they're hyper white. I even specifically made sure I didn't grab the package that said "A new hyper-WHITE look!". Dammit... Knew I shouldn't have bought something from AutoZone. :)
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

HAHAH, Autozone... sheesh :roll:

If you're trying to do what I think you are doing....

Here is what I have, they're made by APC (yes, ICK, I know) but the really do work and look quite well, they haven't faded like other APC bulbs so you might look into them. Or call and Modern and tell them you'd like to purchase the SilverStar turn signal bulbs. They're practically the same thing as the APC bulbs.

http://www.modernperformance.com/all/titanium.shtml
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

I went with the SilverStar H/L bulbs and front turn signal bulbs in my '04 R/T. I had to take loose the top of the front bumper cover above the grille and completely remove both H/L assemblies. These turn signal bulbs look blue when off and are amber when lit.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03sxt »

Those are exactly what I was looking to get. Maybe I can get them ordered in the next couple of days. Thanks man!
RopeRat1
Local Neon Owner

Post by RopeRat1 »

I went to PepBoys and picked up them up. It was like $40 for the H/L bulbs and $16 for the park lamp bulbs. Sylvania makes them.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03sxt »

RopeRat1 wrote:I went to PepBoys and picked up them up. It was like $40 for the H/L bulbs and $16 for the park lamp bulbs. Sylvania makes them.

Jonathan (RopeRat1)
Yeah, the Sylvania Silverstars... I wasn't looking for the blue turn signals. I was just looking for the chrome ones (to 'camoflauge' with the housings) that turn amber when you turn them on. Diablo hit it right on the head for what I was looking for. I do, however, plan to purchase the Silverstar headlights and driving light bulbs pretty soon.
fatallyURS
Local Neon Owner

Post by fatallyURS »

Diablo0 wrote:Talk to fatallyURS, she put them in the other week and she still has her stock airbox and everything.... yeah it's a pain with the airbox installed, which isn't to hard to remove but I think she got to it without having to remove it... might just take some small hands or something.

All else fails, if you take the airbox out, it's very easy to get to.
hay!! yah!!! i got mine in and it's the shit.. and i LOVE THEM!!!
I *heart* my 02 dodge neon!