First Mods...

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

First Mods...

Post by 03sxt »

Okay, I'm sure this is a common question... Just bought my neon. Still bone stock. What first? I'd like to get it lowered a few inches... Like 2 or 3. And I've read that you get what you pay for as far as coilovers go, so the one's on eBay for $50 are out of the picture. :lol: I probably won't be driving it during the winter since I still have my '95 Thunderbird LX, so the adjustable factor doesn't really matter. So, I'm thinking maybe the 'Progress' springs that are available at Modern Performance. Next, I'd like a nice set of wheels... Nothing bigger than 17's though. Whatcha' all think? Good ideas? After the suspension and wheels, I'm going to start dropping some money under the hood... Nothing big like turbos or superchargers :) though since I'm trying to save to buy a house.

Thanks for the input!
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Unfortunately you have an '03 which has the NGC ECU. Those cars do not respond to engine mods well at all. I think you can do a few things, but you'll have to look into what works and doesn't before you waste any money.

I'm not really sure what the best springs are for the 2nd gens, look for something with a linear rate though for more predictable handling. Also look into aftermarket struts, your stockers won't like lowering springs much. Another good idea would be some larger sway bars.

As for wheels, I like my Rotas a lot but they don't seem to make a lot in 17" 5x100. Personally I think 17"s are a must with a 2nd gen. Also look into Kosei wheels.
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
03sxt
Local Neon Owner

Post by 03sxt »

Vinny wrote:Unfortunately you have an '03 which has the NGC ECU. Those cars do not respond to engine mods well at all. I think you can do a few things, but you'll have to look into what works and doesn't before you waste any money.
Doh. That sucks. I didn't plan on doing too many things, anyways. It'll be more like a fun daily driver, I use my Thunderbird for driving to work and running fire calls. (Volunteer Firefighter)
Vinny wrote:As for wheels, I like my Rotas a lot but they don't seem to make a lot in 17" 5x100. Personally I think 17"s are a must with a 2nd gen. Also look into Kosei wheels.
Yeah, I'll check into the Kosei wheels. I think 17"s look the best on the 2nd Gen Neons as well, anything smaller or larger looks a little dorky. :P I think I'd like some kind of 5 star-ish style wheels.