headers

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
stetter
Local Neon Owner

headers

Post by stetter »

which is the best header for 2gen rt's?
Randy
2001 neon R/T
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

The best headers unfortunately aren't made anymore (Blackdog, and FastFab sorta). I would consider the only real options for you to be an AFX long-tube, or the TTI mid-length (they call it a long-tube). The TTI is nice except it isn't a true long-tube, and the AFX is cool except they are known to hang low. I couldn't see anything else being much of an improvement over the rather nice shorty header that came stock on your R/T. Keep in mind you might have to modify bolt holes on whicever header you get, I'm not sure if anyone still makes a header with a proper Magnum head exhaust bolt pattern. If you check the For Sale board on neons.org you may be able to find a Blackdog or FastFab mag header, thats really your best bet.

www.howellautomotive.com
www.ttiexhaust.com
1ST GEN PARTS FOR SALE! CLICK HERE!

1986 Corolla GT-S coupe - 1995 Neon SOHC MTX sedan

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ERIE INSURANCE!!!
Diablo0
Site Admin

Post by Diablo0 »

Only real way to see gains on an R/T is to go with a Long Tube since the stock header is pretty much identical to the Borla short tube header.

Here's a thread that might help you out...

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=1738

From what I've seen the arguement about which brand is better seems to goes back and forth, some say Kirk is fine, some say AF/X is good, ect... ect..

TTI looks the best by far based on pics but if I recall they don't make one with a magnum header flange. After seeing those pics of the Kirk.... it makes me lean more toward AF/X. Me personally I still haven't made up my mind which I'm going to go with when the time comes. Who knows, maybe I can try to contact TTI and maybe get them to make a magnum version.

EDIT... damn watching TV and trying to post... vinny jumped ahead...

Blackdog is wishfull thinking, is Barnett even making anything anymore?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T (SRT-4 Engine Swap)
Click Sig Pic for more info

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
fusion210
Local Neon Owner

Post by fusion210 »

Diablo0 wrote: Blackdog is wishfull thinking, is Barnett even making anything anymore?
AFAIK, no chance in hell of getting a brand new blackdog.
And yeah, pretty much wishful thinking, unless you get lucky like me.
Stumbled upon that on neons.org.
Magnum blackdog header, swaintech coated, flex pipe already on.
I paid a pretty penny, so I'll probably be holding onto it for awhile. :D

I would get an af/x over a kirk or tti anyday of the week.
Chris
No neon for garage, is a 1999 dohc like a 1995 sohc if girl drives? Or is 1998 if man drives to track r/t?
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Yeah I meant to say used in there, I know no ones getting a new BD....

evlneon
Local Neon Owner

Post by evlneon »

fusion210 wrote:AFAIK, no chance in hell of getting a brand new blackdog.
unless you beg and plead with clay to sell you soul to him to make you one. :lol: i occasionally still see him online, but i haven't talked to him in quite a while (maybe a year or so). last i chatted with him, i think he was talking about once he caught up on the blackdog work, he was gonna go work with his dad on hot-rods. 8)

anyway... a friend of mine had a kirk LT on his first gen, and he really liked it.
PHIL | '03 MBP SUBY WRX | '98 FOREST GREEN NEON <- SOLD [img]http://diablo0.servehttp.com/neon ... .jpg[/img]
"Bryan! There's a message in my Alphabets! It says, 'OOOOOoooo.'" "Peter, those are Cheerios."
Vinny
Admin

Post by Vinny »

Forget the Kirk, the TTI is almost identical but doesnt't have the big restrictive donut/flex coupler that a lot of people cut off.

But......

Now that I think about it the Kirk is available with a Magnum flange. I shoulda known that, I used to own one.

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/ki ... ader.shtml

I cut off the stupid donut thing and had a standard 2.5" 3-bolt flange welded on the end of the collector. I would highly recommend doing the same were you to go that route.

stetter
Local Neon Owner

Post by stetter »

i found a fast fab i was going to try and get but my tranny fucked up today so i got to find out what is wrong and get it fixed
Randy
2001 neon R/T