Engine Rebuild question...

This forum is for questions about modifications, or for if you are having a problem with your Neon and need answers.
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Engine Rebuild question...

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

Ok well i got to thinking today after talking with some of my Honda friends that called my Neon slow... and well i was going to be rebuilding my engine anyways when it finally dies...but i was just going to replace everything with OEM stock stuff...but then i got to thinking that I want my car to be stock but yet i'm getting a flowmaster exhaust...so then i thought it looks stock but doesn't sound nor runs like stock...and no one would know...so i think i'll rebuild it with better stuff (performance cam, valves and so on) but the problem is that i know nothing about rebuilding one of these things with aftermarket performance stuff...like what brands are good for the Neon and what stuff is good and so on. so any suggestions on what brands i should use for what? its a SOHC out of a 95 and it would be a total rebuild from the ground up. I would like the exterior of the engine to look stock though... like i'm already thinking about one of those MSD coil packs for the Neon and painting it black..but idk. what do you guys think?
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

1. MSD coilpack, just a stock replacement- does nothing special.

2. Get a Crane #14 cam

3. Longtube header- like a TTi or Kirk

4. Get your head deacked .030" and P&P

5. Get a better intake manifold

6. Get magnum valve springs

7. Modern performace under drive pulley

8. 60mm tb from Modern performance.

That should do it for the most part.....just go to www.modernperformance.com
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

lol or you can do like what Im talkin about doin here soon... a 2.4 swap and then those vtec buddies of yours wont have shit to say for long... but hey its all good I hope that those buddies of yours dont have civic Ex or DX's bc If the do and they dont have a motor swap, then your neon is still faster then their civics stock... lol your neon has 132hp and bout 129ft/lbs and their ex's have 127hp non vtec and 110ft/lbs of torque. depends on what you want to do. like tyler said modern performance or even howell automotive can hook you up. civic owners are haters anyways cept a few.
-SEAN

SRT-4 is king of the Street
Cbussilver01es on 2GN!!!!

Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

one of them is going to be getting an SI...supposibly..but for now one has an Civic EX and the other has an old early 90s late 80s Accord that is rusty, 4-cyl, automatic, no interior, CAI (that sucks in hot air lol) and a header...

if i didn't care about the car looking 2 out of place in the stock world i would do the 2.4L swap in a heart beat but in this Neon i want it to look as stock as possible...even though i'm thinking about swapping it to a DOHC which isn't stock in mine lol...

oh and i bdoupt my car still has all them 132HP lol...probably more like 115 or 120 because of the mileage...
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

what kinda si bc I know the new ones are expensive and the only way someone young could afford one was witha good job, lol besides the old si's only have a 160hp b16 engine. and hey for us all we have to do is spend a grand and some change and we have 2.4 lol if you want to get a DOHC hell get a 2.4 it be better that a 2.0 torque wise, plus you can get it N/a. Thats what Im gonna do, until I can save up to get the rest of my stuff for my turbo install.
-SEAN

Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

one of the older ones...he's only a teenager...

i do have one question regarding the 2.4 swap...how much do you have to change in the front to fit it?
LH95sohc
Local Neon Owner

Post by LH95sohc »

as far as I know, a 96 2.4 will bolt right up into the 96 and up neons with some motor mount mods, talk to pf2neon. He is the one that has a 2.4 swapped 96. In order for it to fit into a 2nd gen like I have, Srt-4 engine mounts will have to be purchased. But other than that, the 2.4 should bolt right in.
-SEAN

Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

well my Neon is a 95 but alrighty.... that will be for my next Neon probably...
Tyler
Local Neon Owner

Post by Tyler »

Your sohc is fine. With the money you'll spend on a dohc motor and someone to install it you could have about $500 in performance parts on your sohc. Dont deal with howell, Ive heard real bad horror stories. Seriously go to modern and get stuff there. In about a week I'll have a pacesetter header forsale for a sohc and a few other parts if you'd be interested( sohc head, intake mani, and so on.)
Built sohc runnin finally! Gotta love the lobe of a crane #14......
Neoncrazy101
Local Neon Owner

Post by Neoncrazy101 »

may i ask something? WHY DO THERE HAS TO BE SOOO MANY CHOICES???? lol... thoughtness overload lol